Tuesday, October 11, 2011

1999 Has Come and Gone But It's Still True

I consider myself to be a technologically savvy person, having just a few of the latest gadgets and toys makes my life simpler, fun and well connected to colleagues. After all we have become a global society dependent on these tools to enhance our business engagements and socialization. This week I was so happy to strut to the mall and make a few new electronic purchases. I upgraded my telephone and bought a navigation system to be shared with my husband. I really wanted an iPad and an iPod but decided the two purchases I had made were enough. When the clerk told me I could listen to music on my telephone I figured I was okay for now. My laptop is not broken so why incur these extra expenses? I absolutely adore staying connected and often talk to friends around the country via Facebook. But here is the thing I don’t get. Why is it that everywhere you turn there is a sea of cell phone, iPod, iPad users who are talking to their virtual friends rather than the friends standing or sitting right in front of them? When I migrated to the south the charm of the community was wholesome and refreshingly friendly. Walking on the opposite side of the street people would wave or say hello loud enough for you to hear them. What has happened to the old south? Are we becoming socially inept? Yes I think this generation of tweeters, facebookers, youtubers and myspacers are sinking into a virtual, make-believe world where only other avatars can reach them. Amazing! If we are not careful we will be a society of grunts and moans. Our greatest expressions will be represented by flying fingers and abbreviated words. We’ll be too busy trying to say it all via the written word or with cell phone snapshots. Oh, oh gotta run. The other avatars are knocking on my wall to see if I can come out and play.

No comments:

Post a Comment