Thursday, April 4, 2013

Facing the Truth


The room was half filled with colleagues who had met this night for business training. It was a misty, chilly evening and many participants had arrived wearing the heavy gear that was contrary to Spring. The speaker was sparkling as usual as we took notes and laughed at his jokes. I could feel my brows furrowing as each piece of new knowledge, parceled out in large doses, poured into my spirit. Later, after the presentation we greeted one another. In this room at this time, this cadre of blue and white collar workers seemed to understand the concept of wealth building. It was incredible to hear how many quickly adapted to this new wave of financial freedom.  Would I adapt and become one of the nouveau rich? These were my colleagues; regular folk, interesting to talk to and very polite millionaires. One such person agreed to take a picture with me. It was in the image of that photo that I realized something was wrong. The ready smile, the twinkling eyes and the look of confidence was missing from my face. I vowed that would be the last time I would appear in public with a seemingly defeated persona, nor would I appear as anything less than a conqueror. All the confidence of prior training and education seemed to not be apparent as I viewed my reflection. What seemed to be a simple snapshot told a story of two different people; one who had overcome her shyness and was now a household name, while the other seemed lackluster.

No comments:

Post a Comment