Thursday, October 17, 2013

Who Has Fun During Chemo?

One of my chemo health care providers is so entertaining. She tells the other nurses to not spoil me because she's not going to nurture me the same way. I say why not? Anyway I have a birthday coming up don't you want to be nice to me? She's a hoot and playfully calls us by names that depict our characters. Just a few minutes ago she dubbed a gentleman Billie D. He happened to look like a younger Billie D. Williams. I'm the "Coffee Queen".  I respond, "thank you for blessing me with that title." She then tells other patients about my coffee. Nurse Sharon says there are many layers to me. Hmmmm do you think she was trying to say I have multiple personalities or I'm just a very interesting person? Some of you will get this.

Usually I take plenty of reading material or work on projects or make calls. Being in Sharon's section is a treat for me. She knows how to engage in conversation and make me laugh. Lord knows my best medicine is laughter right now. I tell her what I've been up to and always give her free samples of coffee whenever I'm in her section. I think she looks forward to seeing me, although she tries to play me off like I'm no big deal.  

Sharon is from Trinidad, a place I long to visit. Trinidad is referenced in my book Looking for the Promise. This is one thing I haven't shared with her yet, she has to unpeel that layer because I don't want to seem boastful.

In order to make this challenge work to my advantage I have to have fun during chemo. I usually do even when I'm there alone. It gives me an opportunity to do what I do best; talk and meet new people.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment