Thursday, February 14, 2013

Are We There Yet?


It’s a pretty mild evening for February. Jacket wearing diners fill the entrances of their favorite restaurants as they wait to be seated for a special meal with a loved one. What is it about this day that causes people to stand in line upwards of one hour to have a meal? I’ve started out early enough with my husband to spend a minimal of time in one such line. When our turn comes we are seated in a corner near a fireplace. The ambiance is as delicious I suppose as the meal we’ll have.  

John Harley, Emerald Executive in Organo Gold Int’l says that Fridays and Saturdays are the worst days for diners to visit restaurants. First, the lengthy wait for a table is excruciating and the food is not always the freshest this time of the week. I am reminded of the glorious restaurants of Chicago with the wonderful cuisine that started a movement called “Taste of Chicago” and the lines I waited in for dinner.

Tonight I watch the entrance of the restaurant where my husband and I are enjoying spicy shrimp and chicken to see how many people will form that proverbial line. From where we’re sitting we see a few people milling about. I wonder if this gesture of dinner is obligatory as I stare at the helium balloons that declare special greetings to family, friends, or lovers. The celebration of love over a meal is fascinating. We stood in line and waited to be fed. I say, "John Harley, it’s worth it. Bon appetite."  

No comments:

Post a Comment